Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
pointe du hoc
thewoundingofcharliewilber.com Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  pointe du hoc
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

pointe du hoc  This thread currently has 2,368 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
peter van der linden
June 12, 2008, 7:39pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Doug,

I also was at ponte du hoc in 2006 and 2007.
When I was there for the first time I was very disappointed to see that it was unable to reach the german observation bunker du to the safety of the visiting tourists.
But when we went back to Holland I promised my self that if I ever went back to normandie I would try to see it from up close.
So when I went back last year I kept my promise and went around the barbered wire and filmed the point.
Later that day I went back and entered the observation bunker to take some photo’s inside.  
I uploaded my film on youtube after that so it could be seen for others who also couldn’t reach the point.
This is the webadress.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJsVLNmP34

I also use a special website when I go and visit museums the webadress is.
http://www.oorlogsmusea.nl
its also in English

peter.

"Think not only upon there passing...Remember the GLORY of their spirit"
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Skype
doug wilber
June 12, 2008, 9:26pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Peter, Thanks for the video of Pointe du Hoc. Ever since I saw the movie "The Longest
Day" I have been interested in that place. Don Burgett, met and talked with Ranger
Leonard Lemell who disabled those six German guns after the Germans moved them
inland. It must of been quite a surprise for the Rangers to capture their objective only   to find the guns missing. As you may know, Pointe du Hoc along with the 14 American   cemeteries in Europe are the only land America obtained during World War II.

doug wilber
E-mail Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print