Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
SGT Garland W. "Tex" Collier 3rd/506th HQ CO
thewoundingofcharliewilber.com Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  SGT Garland W. "Tex" Collier 3rd/506th HQ CO
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

SGT Garland W. "Tex" Collier 3rd/506th HQ CO  This thread currently has 20,118 views. Print
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
glider326
September 25, 2008, 3:19am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Judy, You write so well.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 15 - 57
judy52sa
September 25, 2008, 3:34am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
You are very kind, Doug!  Thanks...must be the old English teacher in me!  
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 16 - 57
glider326
September 25, 2008, 4:00pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Judy, Using this 1944 aerial photograph where do you think Garland was killed?

http://www.thewoundingofcharliewilber.com/inset_test_2.html

One thing that always confused me is that there are two railroad stations in Opheusden
at the time of the battle. Remember there are dual railroad lines and there was a station
for each one. I remember looking at one of the railroad stations and couldn't understand
why there was no houses behind the station. It because I was looking at the south station
and the village  was on the other side of the tracks. So I wondering if Garland was in
the fields south of the RR tracks or north of the lines where there were houses. I am going to ask
on other forums for some information.

doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 17 - 57
judy52sa
September 26, 2008, 2:34am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Have no clue.  I've only been told that he was somewhere near the
"railway station."  I know he was in a trench/foxhole.   I assumed there
was only one railway station!  I need to look at the photograph more
carefully, and then I'd probably need to go back and review the
After Action Report to see if I could find a clue.  Thanks for pursuing this.

Judy
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 18 - 57
judy52sa
September 26, 2008, 9:16pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Thanks for your help on the Trigger Time Forum, Doug.  Just saw your post.  
I've just now completed a letter to Bob Rommel, who was in the LMG Platoon
with Garland.  Having to do this by snail mail, so am hoping for some sort
of reply, but I have no idea what to expect and it may be a while.  I asked
him, if he could, to share what he could and specifically, if he had any
recollection of the issue you've brought up. From what I've been told by
others, he might have been very close to Garland that day.  Mr. Rommel
currently resides in California.

Am going to find some time to review your aerial photograph and also the
AAR to see if I can get any hints there.  

Many thanks again!

Judy
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 19 - 57
glider326
September 27, 2008, 10:34pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Judy, The reason I ask is I wonder if Garland is buried where he fell?

doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 20 - 57
judy52sa
September 28, 2008, 7:13am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Yes, we've all thought of that...would make sense.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 21 - 57
glider326
September 30, 2008, 4:21pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Judy, I was wondering if Ian Gardner, author of "The Forgotten Battalion" might know
the positions of the 506th on October 5, 1944? The probelm was that the battlefield was
very fluid with the Screaming Eagles being pushed back by a numerically superior force.
If you look at that 1944 aerial photo you can see where the Headquarters of How and George
moved from east to west as the Germans launched their counter attacks. He may have a better
idea than first hand accounts because he would have all the information and might be able to sort
it all out. Just a suggestion. Also about the railroad station. Since there was a dual line, each line
had its own waiting or railroad station so they maybe also confusing.

doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 22 - 57
judy52sa
October 2, 2008, 11:53pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Hi Doug.  I have had a couple of email exchanges with Ian Gardner.  His response excerpted from our email exchange:

*** " I don't know how Garland died but I know it was during the rear guard action around Opheusden railway station on October 5th...you probably know this but his name is on a memorial erected by the Dutch in 1999 near the spot where one of the 3/506 aid stations used to be . So are you saying they never recovered his body then? I always assumed he was buried in Margraten Military Cemetary. The fighting around the station was very brutal but there was to my knowledge no flooding in that area apart from the odd drainage ditch however there is a canal very close by! " ***

I know that Ian has done extensive interviews with several who were near Garland that day.  

I've reviewed the AAR's from the 506th PIR site...you may have copies of these yourself, Doug.   The only clues I can find are these:

From October 3, 1944:
"...3rd Battalion (less 'I' Company), Batteries 'B' and 'D' 81st AA Battalion attached, defends west from eastern edge of OPHEUSDEN, line extending south from OPHEUSDEN to the railroad.... "

From October 4, 1944:
"3rd Battalion reported enemy attempting to cross the river NEDER-RUN at 2105 hour, 3 October 1944.  Our artillery prevented this crossing.  3rd Battalion received enemy artillery and motar fire throughout the day...."

From October 5, 1944:
"Enemy attacking in 3rd Battalion sector (OPHEUSDEN) AT 0300 hour. At 0600 hour, enemy attacking in strength along 3rd BN entire front.  3rd Battalion reports enemy using civilians as a screen for their advance. .... 3rd Battalion reports they are being hard pressed (at 1000 hour) by approximately a reinforced company in 'I' Company's sector and they are now putting artillery on the enemy.  Message rec'd at 1020 hour that the Commanding Officer of the 3rd BN, Major Oliver M. Horton, had been killed in action.

"At 1420 hour 3rd Battalion reports three enemy tanks with supporting Infantry are advancing on their left flank....

[I'm deleting several paragraphs here....]

"At 1900 hour 'I' Company reported they had repelled the attack and had destroyed their position.  At this time, the Combat Team Commander ordered the following changes in the dispositions of the Combat Team:  3rd Battalion to move ('G' 'H' and 'HQ' CO) south of the railroad and take up positions on 'I' Company's right flank extending north through the railroad contacting the 1st Battalion.  1st Battalion was given that part of the section extending north from the railroad through the eastern edge of OPHEUSDEN to NEDER-RIJN River.  This line ran roughly from south to north-DODEWAARD railroad station near OPHEUSDEN, 200 yards east to west inside OPHEUSDEN, to d**e along NEDER-RIJN River."

That is the last mention of the 3rd Battalion on that day of the report.  There is further discussion of the disposition of the entire Combat Team as of 2000 hour, but the HQ Company specifically, is not mentioned. Apparently 'H' and "G' companies of the 3rd were held in reserve.  There is mention from the entry of October 6th of the enemy moving in to the railroad station near OPHEUSDEN and by dawn, they were astride the road-railroad intersection.  'G' Company was ordered to attack west along the north side of the railroad and retake the station and intersection.  'H' Company was pinned down to prevent their left flank from being exposed.  Both the 1st and 3rd BTN's came under heavy fire of all types, the 3rd BTN holding their ground, but the 1st BTN having to pull back to the eastern edge of OPHEUSDEN.  

So it appears his Company  may have been just south of the southern most railway station at some point, but then repositioned to just north of the railway station.  Ian's comment about Garland's being killed during the "rear guard" action would indicate??

Confusing, and I have had trouble locating both railway stations on your map.  What am I missing?  

I will drop Ian another note.  Maybe there are some specific details about the engagement that day that he can provide that he's not already!

Thanks for the suggestion.  Let me know if you can decipher any of the above any more clearly than I!  I know that must be the case!  And it's difficult when you lift something from context.  As I said, you probably have these documents yourself!

Judy  
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 23 - 57
glider326
October 3, 2008, 5:08pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Judy, Do you know by any chance about what time Garland was killed? The reason I ask is that might determine his location at the time
of his death. I am gonna go back and read George Koskimaki's book "Hell's Highway" and some of Mark Bando's books to see if they
reveal more information. The way I understand it is that the 363rd Volksgrenadier Division, augmented with a battalion of tanks and
engineers attacked early on the morning of October 5, 1944. The third battalion of the 506th was deployed on a north-south axis from the
Neder Rhine (Lower Rhine) to the Waal River. Only about 400 Americans were there at the time. George Company was on the northern sector,
then How Company down to the railroad tracks. South of the tracks was Item Company. My Dad was about 1-1/2 to the east, and the Engineers
were converted to infantrymen and ordered west-their mission was to determine the extent of the German drive. What the Engineers were doing
was a reconnaisse-in-force or basically "counting the guns" of the Enemy, to find out what the Americans were up against. As they approached the
bridge leading to Opheusden, First Platoon of Baker Co./326th went north while the 3rd Platoon went south of the tracks. Some time around 8:45 AM
my Dad was shot and finally made it to air raid shelter helped by another GI. It was here around 9:00 AM that Wim and Dir van den Bosch brought him
into their home. He was there for three hours before the medics, most likely two men from 321st GFAR, brought him to an aid station. After a two
days fighting the 506th redeployed about 1 1/2 miles east  back behind the 327th GIR.

Doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 24 - 57
glider326
October 3, 2008, 5:33pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Judy, One correction, How Company's lines extended a bit south of the railroad tracks. Did you know Garland's picture is on Dominic
Biello's website?

Doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 25 - 57
judy52sa
October 3, 2008, 9:36pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Don't think I have that website, so if you wouldn't mind posting the
URL, I'd appreciate it.  I am constantly discovering new places to look.
Yes,  his picture is posted several places.  Wouldn't it be something if
he was near where your Dad was when he was hit.

What you said above makes sense. Unfortunately,  I have NEVER
been given any information about the time of day he was killed.
I'm in touch with two of his fellow troopers, who were very near him
when he died, but I'm waiting to hear back from them, and I'm not
sure about how comfortable either of them is with discussing
specifics.  I'm sure each of them might have that answer.  
Hopefully, as I continue to work on developing correspondence
channels with them, I'll be able to find out.

Judy
E-mail Reply: 26 - 57
glider326
October 4, 2008, 12:05am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Judy, Here is the link to Garland's picture.

http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/506/506_trp.html

doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 27 - 57
glider326
October 4, 2008, 3:47pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Judy,  Look at this picture of the railroad station

http://www.thewoundingofcharliewilber.com/page_11.html

Now it appears that the building in the bottom picture is the railroad station and there was a waiting
station on each side of the dual railroad tracks. The railroad station is on the south side of the tracks.
Now if we knew what side of the tracks Garland was on we could almost figure out where he was by
where would you place a machine gun nest? I also found out that another soldier who manned a .50
MG was killed that same day, Pvt. Carl E. Pease, also Headquarters 3rd Battalion/506th. When they
pulled back Pease was left behind and his body was also  never found.

Doug
E-mail Reply: 28 - 57
judy52sa
October 6, 2008, 4:18am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Thanks for the link, Doug.  I had this site bookmarked and have reviewed it many
times...knew Garland's picture was there.  Guess I just wasn't familiar with the
webmaster/owner!  

Have looked at the previous picture from your book as well and have already
saved it.  

I've sent another email to Ian Gardner, asking if he can shed any light on
the subject.  Hopefully, I will hear back from him!

E-mail Reply: 29 - 57
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Print

thewoundingofcharliewilber.com Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  SGT Garland W. "Tex" Collier 3rd/506th HQ CO