Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Lt.Col Stanley, F.A.
thewoundingofcharliewilber.com Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Lt.Col Stanley, F.A.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Lt.Col Stanley, F.A.  This thread currently has 9,520 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Daan
September 27, 2008, 1:15pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
I am searching for information about Col. Stanley, Frank A.

He was a Colonel in the 326 Eng HQ. Does anyone has more information about this officer and his time in service? He served with the 101st and 82nd Airborne Division's in WWII and Korea. Does he apprear in any 326th after action reports? I am not really sure when he served with the 326th? Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards,
Daan
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message
glider326
September 28, 2008, 9:54am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Daan, Welcome to the forum. I  have never heard of a Lt. Colonel Frank A. Stanley
in the 326th Airborne Engineer Battalion. The only colonel that existed during the war
was Lt. Col. John Pappas, who was killed on June 13, 1944 outside of Carenten, France
and his replacement was Major Hugh A. Mozley, a man loved by the Engineers. What is
confusing about the 326th in the 101st is that there is the 326th AEB and the 326th Airborne
Medical Company, which cared for the wounded. During the seige of Bastogne, 140 men of
the 326th AMC were captured at Crossroads X, leaving the 101st with a severe shortage of medical
supplies and medics. Later, gliders would bring in replacement medics and supplies.

doug wilber
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
Daan
September 28, 2008, 11:22am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Hi Doug!

Thanks for your reply. What is interesting about this is that the Lt.Col is listed in the P.M. Pulles rosters. I don't know if you have heard of these rosters before? In those rosters he is listed in the '101 HQ + Supp. Units' book.

Stanley, F.A. - COL - 326 Eng HQ - O-

So he must been in that unit during WWII, but the question is, when? Could he been assigned to an other unit, and therefor not show up in any 326 AEB reports or something like that? Maybe I've got more information soon, I'll keep this post updated. Thanks so far for your help.

Regards,
Daan
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
glider326
September 28, 2008, 10:24pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Daan, Let me e mail Capt. Joe Crilley if he knows about Lt. Col. Stanley,

doug wilber
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
Daan
September 29, 2008, 3:37pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Thanks Doug, I appreciate it!
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
glider326
September 30, 2008, 4:27pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Daan, I sent out the other day an e mail to Sue & Joe Crilley, Joe being the ranking officer of the
326th AEB today (WWII). They live in Pennsylvania but in the summer time have a home in Nova Scotia.
This maybe be the time they are returning to their American home and they take their time visiting
places and people. So it may be a bit before I hear anything. Just to keep you updated.

doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
glider326
October 1, 2008, 5:46pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Daan, Sue Crilley e mailed today and said Joe does not recall that name. Now the
strange thing about this Pulles Roster, is they have him listed in the 326th AEB. Well.
as far as I know the battalion was commanded by Major Hugh Mozley up until it was
deactivated in November, 1945. One other thing, Joe was the commander of Charlie
Company and you are saying Stanley was in the Headquarters Company, so it is possible
he didn't know him, but why would Stanley have a higher rank than Mozley and not be the
commander? Also, according to "Rendezous With Destiny" the most officers in the 326th AEB
during the war was 39, but Joe is near 90 so his memory maybe lacking and it is possible that
he just doesn't remember him, but the rank puzzles me.

Doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
Daan
October 1, 2008, 10:33pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it.

Well maybe he wasn't a Colonel during WWII (perhaps an Lt. or Capt)? He also served in the Korean war and they may have hold on to his last rank in the Pulles rosters? It's quite interesting though, I'll see if I can find more information about this.

Perhaps I have some more information soon, I'll keep you updated.

Regards,
Daan
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
glider326
October 2, 2008, 12:24pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Daan, Maybe you are right that his highest rank was given to him after his military service. The 101st
was deactivated after World War II. In the mid 1950's President Eisenhower reestablished the
division and they were used in Little Rock, Arkansas to quell racial unrest there. Later the Screaming
Eagles would play a major role during the Vietnam War. Generals Maxwell Taylor and William
Westmoreland were both former commanders of the 101st. Almost twice as many Eagles were
killed in Vietnam than World War II in combat. That is not including the men who died from Post
Dramatic Stress Disorder or Agent Orange, which was anybody's guess on how many died from these
causes.

Doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
glider326
October 14, 2008, 12:58am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Daan, Just want to update about Frank Stanley. I talked with Ray "Ike" Eisenhauer
who was a Lt. in Charlie Company of the 326th AEB during WWII. He didn't know
any Stanley and also said a man I know who was in Headquaters/326th was in bad
shape. He did give me another number of another officer also in Charlie Company
and I will see if that develops into anything.

Doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
Daan
October 17, 2008, 10:25am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

I will post any news in here if I get any information.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

thewoundingofcharliewilber.com Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Lt.Col Stanley, F.A.