Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Your dad's glider ride
thewoundingofcharliewilber.com Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Your dad's glider ride
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

Your dad's glider ride  This thread currently has 4,744 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
peter van der linden
November 17, 2008, 6:40pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Doug,
Do you have more details on your dad’s glider ride into Holland Sept 18 except from what is written in your book..
For example did he also departed from Chilbolten airfield with the 442 TCG, was he injured on landing when the glider almost flipped over, or any other info regarding the glider he was on?
The 442 TCG appears to be kind of famous when you look at their history after Market-Garden when they where transferred to the mainland.
They had one pretty interesting mission on transporting some famous POW in 1945.
Peter.

"Think not only upon there passing...Remember the GLORY of their spirit"
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Skype
glider326
November 18, 2008, 2:54am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Peter, My Dad's landing on September 18, 1944 was pretty hairy. As soft ground
would be the dream landing for a paratrooper, soft ground was a gliderman's worst
nightmare. A glider hitting soft turf, its nose would dig in causing the glider to flip over-
landing on your head. In my Dad's landing, one trooper had his harness snap sending
that guy flying. and all were shaken by the sudden stop. The pilot jumps out and heads for
the woods. "Why did he do that" I asked. He had to go to the bathroom my Dad said with
a big smile. The poor guy had pooped in his pants. Remember landing a glider behind
enemy lines one is under constant fire and the tactic was to put the Waco into a steep deep,
pull out and land on the nearest territory. The point was to be quick and get out of a target-
the glider. The American glider troops were fast and for good reason.  A landed glider drew
alot of attention from the Germans, and they had to get the glidermen before they got out.
Years later I am landing in San Francisco with my family. I am enjoying the landing approach
and I look over at my Dad who has a very anxious expression, sweating bullets. Any landing
reminded him of his Waco landing in a country the Americans called Holland.

Doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
peter van der linden
November 18, 2008, 6:11pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Doug,
I took some flying lessons back in 2005 in a Cessna and found landing the plane the most difficult part.
On final approach I always got sweaty hands leaving most of the flying over to my instructor until after touchdown taking over steering again by pedals.
Never pooped my paints though…..
Any way’s coming back to the 442 TCG, I found this on the internet.

Passenger list a who's who in Nazi high command

by Tech. Sgt. Mike Morrison
442nd Fighter Wing historian

8/18/2006 - WHITEMAN AIR FORCE BASE, Mo. -- Of the thousands of aircraft passenger manifests scattered across Europe by the end of World War II, one holds particular significance for today's 442nd Fighter Wing.

Sixty-one years ago the Air Force Reserve Command unit here was the 442nd Troop Carrier Group and was tasked to transport high ranking officers of defeated Nazi Germany.

Early on the morning of Aug. 12, 1945, Tech. Sgt. Melvin Kraus, a Brooklyn, N.Y., native and a member of the 305th Troop Carrier Squadron of the 442nd TCG, readied for that day's 8 a.m. flight on board a C-47A Douglas Skytrain from Metz, France, to Furth, Germany, via Sandweiler, Luxembourg.

Sergeant Kraus reached for a blank manifest, an Army Air Force Form No. 1, and with pen in hand began recording the manifest. Along with two "leave personnel" and four members of the United States Forces European Theater, Sergeant Kraus wrote a capital P in front of the other names, denoting a prisoner of war. In fact, this flight would carry some of Adolf Hitler's most ardent henchmen, presumably taking some of them one step closer to facing justice at the Nuremburg War Crimes trial.

Crewmembers on the flight included Sergeants James J. Barry of Lynn, Mass., and Earl G. Carhart Jr., of Tulsa, Okla. First Lt. Robert G. Denson of Davenport, Wash., piloted the Metz to Sandweiler leg, while 2nd Lt. Robert M. Cole of Staten Island, N.Y., served as co-pilot. Lieutenant Cole piloted the Sandweiler to Furth stretch.

Leading the list of prisoners on the manifest were Reichsmarschall Herman Goering, Joachim Von Ribbentrop, Field Marshall Albert Kesselring, Generaloberst Gustav Jodl, Marshall Kietele, Hans Franck, Grand Admiral Karl Doenitz and Mr. DeLauge.

Goering was the marshal of the empire and commander-in-chief of the Luftwaffe, German air force, during World War II. He was often considered Hitler's second-in-command.

Von Ribbentrop, Germany's foreign minister, was an early confidant of Hitler. He was instrumental in securing a nonaggression pact between Germany and the Soviet Union before Germany's 1939 invasion of Poland.

Kesselring was active in the Wehrmacht, German army, in the European and North African theaters during the war.

Colonel-General Jodl was chief of operations staff of the Wehrmacht. He worked as deputy to another passenger on the flight, Field Marshall Keitel, to develop the Jodl-Keitel tactic of military fighting. Keitel was the commander-in-chief of the High Command of the Wehrmacht. Instrumental in developing military and domestic policies for Nazi Germany, he signed the order allowing the German army to execute suspected communist leaders upon capture.

Franck was governor-general of Poland. He designed the policy that would result in devastating Poland's Jewish population during the war.

Doenitz was commander-in-chief of the German navy, Kriegsmarine. Early in the war, Doenitz led the development of many of Germany's advances in U-Boat construction and fighting tactics. In April 1945, Hitler appointed Doenitz as his replacement to lead what was left of the crumbling Nazi state.

The last name on the prisoner list is DeLauge. After searching several sources, no such person was found. However, considering Keitel's name is misspelled on the manifest, DeLauge may be SS Colonel-General Kurt Daluege, one of the top Nazis in Czechoslavakia, who ordered the infamous slaughter at and subsequent "wiping from the face of the earth" of the town of Lidice, in response to the assassination of SS Obergruppenfuhrer (Senior Group Leader) Reinhard Heydrich.

Although Daluege testified against Franck at the Nuremburg trials, he was tried by a Czech court for war crimes in Czechoslavakia and hanged in Prague on Oct. 24, 1946.

Goering was sentenced to die by hanging but committed suicide in his cell. On Oct. 16, 1946, Jodl and Keitel were hung, as were von Ribbentrop and Franck. Doenitz was sentenced to 11 ½ years in the prison in Spandau, Germany, but was released in 1956.

According to the on-line encyclopedia http://www.wikipedia.org, Kesselring died at Bad Nauheim, Germany, at the age of 79 in 1960. He was tried in 1947 for the execution of partisans by troops under his command. He was found guilty and sentenced to death, but weak evidence secured his release in 1952.  (AFRC News Service with contributions by Tech. Sgt. Leo Brown and Staff Sgt. Greg Frost)

Attachment: afg060818001_small_2425.jpg
Size: 90.61 KB

"Think not only upon there passing...Remember the GLORY of their spirit"
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Skype Reply: 2 - 3
glider326
November 19, 2008, 12:30am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Peter, Talk about a motley crew! That manifast had a who's who of Nazis.
Thanks for the post. My aunt and uncle lived in Lynn, MA for awhile.

Doug
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

thewoundingofcharliewilber.com Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Your dad's glider ride