Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Byron Armbruster
thewoundingofcharliewilber.com Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Byron Armbruster
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Byron Armbruster  This thread currently has 2,254 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
glider326
December 10, 2008, 11:40pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
I talked on the phone today with Ray "Ike" Eisenhauer and was told that
Bryon "Barney" Armbruster 94, had passed on. I first met Barney at a 326th
Reunion in Frankenmuth, Michigian. I was telling the other six veterans, all from
Charlie Company, the story of my Dad arriving to Normandy, via the troopship                                         USS Susan B. Anthony. After I tell them how my Dad arrived at Utah Beach, nearly
losing his life after the landing craft door trapped  his leg, Barney looks over at me
and says "I was on that ship". He then has this pained expression on his face and slowly
gets up and leaves the room nearly in tears. It wasn't until later I found out what was
bothering him. When he landed on Utah he was going inland when he saw his best friend
laying on the beach, with a leg and an arm blown off, pleading to be killed. The only thing
he could do was move on. Barney was wounded that day and would be in all four campaigns
the 101st  was in. I visited early this year on the way to Don Burgett's birthday party.
He let me stay the night in his house and we talked. Barney lamented how as his wife was
dying from cancer and a snowstorm denied him the chance to see her for the final time. He told
me at breakfast how old age prevented him from his garden. "I love to see things grow"
he said. Thank you Barney for saving our country. Goodbye friend.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message
peter van der linden
December 11, 2008, 4:27pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Doug,
I'm sorry to hear off the loss of your friend.
I hope Mr Armbruster and his wife are united again in heaven.
Peter

"Think not only upon there passing...Remember the GLORY of their spirit"
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Skype Reply: 1 - 2
judy52sa
December 15, 2008, 3:31am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Doug~Sorry to hear of Mr. Armbruster's passing.  What a brave and courageous man!

Judy
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print