Print Topic - Archive

thewoundingofcharliewilber.com Forum  /  General Discussion  /  New 101st ABD Memorial in Bastogne
Posted by: Regfromthebulge, September 27, 2008, 2:03pm
All,

Yesterday the new memorial for the 101st ABD and ALL it’s attached units was inaugurated  near the Mardasson in Bastogne .
In attendance of US Embassador Sam Fox and a 101st Airborne AirAssault Color Guard .
Lots of familiar faces and a beautiful ceremony for a beautiful sculpture .

Those who desire to receive a copy from the Mayor’s speech , drop me  mail .

Reg

Posted by: glider326, September 27, 2008, 10:31pm; Reply: 1
Reg, Great post!

doug
ps how's the band doing?
Posted by: Regfromthebulge, September 28, 2008, 1:00am; Reply: 2
Doug ,

The band is doing great actually ... lots of gigs . I have come to a point I have to make some major decisions .. My life is too busy now touring  and researching Bastogne , the upcoming adoption and trip to Ethiopia to pick up my son/daughter ... So I'm thinking of quitting the band and spent that time on WW2 history ...

Reg
Posted by: Regfromthebulge, September 28, 2008, 1:01am; Reply: 3
There are several symbols integrated in the sculpture ....

Ofcourse there's the eagle , symbol of the 101st ABD .
Its wings are raised to refer to the dove of peace .
The helmet is turned over to remember all the blood that has been shed during the siege of Bastogne .
The head of the eagle is pointing at the helmet as of it wants to protect and help a trooper .
The sculpture stands for the power and tenacity of the US Army ...

The original rock that later became the sculpture comes from the Bastogne quarry , gravel pit , south of the Mardasson Memorial .

Reg
Posted by: glider326, September 28, 2008, 10:05am; Reply: 4
Reg, Thanks for tha additional information. Seems like you have alot on your
plate with family, band, work and World War II history. That's the probelm with life,
so much to do, so little time to do it in.

doug
Print page generated: April 29, 2024, 1:37am